Twitter

Follow palashbiswaskl on Twitter

Friday, July 29, 2011

Fwd: [bangla-vision] MUST READ: Environmental Activist Tim DeChristopher Sentenced to Prison, Tells the Court, "This Is What Hope Looks Like"



---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Romi Elnagar <bluesapphire48@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 5:13 AM
Subject: [bangla-vision] MUST READ: Environmental Activist Tim DeChristopher Sentenced to Prison, Tells the Court, "This Is What Hope Looks Like"
To:


 

If you could read one article this week, this month even, about environmental and labor activism, about doing what is right, I hope you will consider reading this one.

This is the statement made at sentencing by convicted environmental activist Tim DeChristopher.  It is an eloquent call to action for us all before it is too late.  It is lengthy, because it has a lot of important things to say, but is worth reading all the way to the end.
   Romi


Environmental Activist Tim DeChristopher Sentenced to Prison, Tells the Court, "This Is What Hope Looks Like"

"In these times of a morally bankrupt government that has sold out its principles, this is what patriotism looks like." Read his words to the court.
July 27, 2011  |  
 
 
 Editor's Note: Yesterday Tim DeChristopher was sentenced to 2 years in federal prison and was handed a $10,000 fine for bidding on oil and gas drilling leases in an attempt to protect public lands.

Thank you for the opportunity to speak before the court. When I first met Mr. Manross, the sentencing officer who prepared the presentence report, he explained that it was essentially his job to "get to know me." He said he had to get to know who I really was and why I did what I did in order to decide what kind of sentence was appropriate. I was struck by the fact that he was the first person in this courthouse to call me by my first name, or even really look me in the eye. I appreciate this opportunity to speak openly to you for the first time. I'm not here asking for your mercy, but I am here asking that you know me.


[Assistant U.S. Attorney John] Huber has leveled a lot of character attacks at me, many of which are contrary to Mr. Manross's report. While reading Mr. Huber's critiques of my character and my integrity, as well as his assumptions about my motivations, I was reminded that Mr Huber and I have never had a conversation. Over the two and half years of this prosecution, he has never asked my any of the questions that he makes assumptions about in the government's report. Apparently, Mr. Huber has never considered it his job to get to know me, and yet he is quite willing to disregard the opinions of the one person who does see that as his job.


>>> The rest of the article is at

http://www.alternet.org/environment/151803/environmental_activist_tim_dechristopher_sentenced_to_prison%2C_tells_the_court%2C_%22this_is_what_hope_looks_like%22?page=1


__._,_.___

Palash Biswas
Pl Read:
http://nandigramunited-banga.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Welcome

Website counter

Followers

Blog Archive

Contributors