From: Pushparayan Victoria <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: 30 September 2012 7:57:27 IST
To: Kebiston Fernando <email@example.com>
Subject: Joint letter from Japanese Anti Nuclear Activists and their
experience in India
Please find the joint letter below written by three Japanese
anti-nuclear activists who tried to visited India in solidarity with
Koodankulam anti-nuclear movement and deported on the September 25th.
No Nukes Asia Forum Japan
To our friends who struggle for nuclear free future,
A Historic movement is underway in Tamil Nadu State against
Koodankulam nuclear power station. People across the world are moved
by the resistance and want to express solidarity
We tried to visit India to show our solidarity on September 25 but
were denied access at Chennai airport. After an hour-long
interrogation, we had our paper written as "Inadmissible person"
,which denied our entrance to India. It is unforgivable for the
government, which invites countless nuclear merchants from Western
countries, to deny such small citizens like us. We are writing this
letter because we would like you to know what we experienced.
When we got off the plane and approached the immigration counter, one
personnel came to us smiling.
We asked them where we can get arrival visa. They immediately checked
our passport and brought us to the immigration office. There were more
than 5 personnels asking questions to us respectively. I was brought
to another room and three personnels asked me whether I am a member of
No Nukes Asia Forum Japan. I was surprised because they mentioned the
concrete name of the organization.
"You signed the international petition on Koodankulam, didn't you?
Your name was on the list. It means you are anti-nuclear" a personnel
said. It so happens that all three of us our signatories of the
international petition (May 2012). Another one asked me what we would
do at Koodankulam. I was surprised again because no one had mentioned
about Koodankulam. But the man showed me a printed itinerary of our
domestic flight that I have never seen yet.
"We already know that you have booked the domestic flight. So you are
going there. Who invited you all? Who is waiting for you at the
arrival gate now? Who will pick you up at Tuticorin airport? Tell me
their names. Tell me their telephone number. Will you join the
agitation? " They asked many questions and surprisingly, they knew
all our Indian friends' names. We felt scared. We felt something wrong
would happen to you. So we didn't answer.
We know that many scientists supportive of nuclear power, and some
that are paid by the nuclear industry have visited India and spoken on
behalf of nuclear power. These were not merely allowed by the Indian
Government, but even encouraged. With India's avowed commitment to
democracy, one would imagine that contrary points of view would be
Then, they asked me another questions about us, referring to a bunch
of papers. "What is Mr. Watarida's occupation? He is involved in the
anti-nuclear movement in Kaminoseki, right?" According to Mr.
Watarida, there was a lot of information about our activities in Japan
written on those papers. They already researched our activities in
They tried to ask various questions. At first they talked in a
friendly manner. They told us that we can enter India if we gave them
the information about the movement in Koodankulam. But gradually they
got irritated because they wanted to deport us as soon as possible.
The Air Asia airplane that brought us to Chennai one hour earlier was
about to leave again for Kuala Lumpur. We were at the office more than
one hour. Finally, they said " Answer within 5 minutes, otherwise you
will be deported." We answered a little but it seemed that they didn't
get satisfied with our answer. We were taken to the departure area.
Mr. Nakai asked them to allow him to go to washroom, but they refused.
Probably they didn't want us to call some of our Indian friends, or
they were waiting us to make domestic phone call. They wanted to know
the exact names and telephone number of our friends, so I couldn't use
my cell phone.
At the last gate, Mr. Watarida asked a immigration staff why we got
deported. He answered that the Indian government directed us to be
sent out and that we would be in jail if we didn't obey. We were taken
to the Air Asia airplane and it took off immediately.
We were given a paper. Mine was written as below;
WHEREAS Mrs. Yoko Unoda national who arrived at Chennai Airport from
Kuala Lumpur on 25/9/2012 by flight No. AK1253 has been refused
permission to land in India.
You are hereby directed under para 6 of THE FOREIGNERS ORDER 1948 TO
REMOVE THE SAID FOREIGNER Mrs. Yoko Unoda out of India by the same
flight or the first available flight failing which you shall be liable
for action under the said PARA of Foreigners Order, 1948.
We had come to India in peace, to extend our peace and to extend our
learnings about the dangers of nuclear power. As Japanese, we should
know what the problems are with both the military use and peaceful
uses of nuclear energy. We are aware that in India, your government
has organised international meetings of the nuclear industry, where
the people interested in selling nuclear equipment have been invited
as state guests to come and flaunt their wares. We have nothing to
sell, just our stories about the dangers and pains that nuclear energy
will bring you. It is unfortunate that your Government denied us the
hospitality that the people of India were extending to us. In a
democracy, and particularly with controversial technologies like
nuclear energy, it is important that free and fair debate is conducted
in a fear-free atmosphere. It is clear that the nuclear establishment
in India is not prepared for such a free and fair debate.
In Japan, a report of a high level committee set up by the Parliament
after Fukushima found that the disaster was made in Japan and was a
result of secrecy, the failure of people to question their Governments
and the closeness between the regulators and the nuclear energy
Your Government's refusal of entry to us merely because we bear an
opinion contrary to theirs on the matter of nuclear energy speaks
poorly of your Government's claims to democratic ideals and free
speech. We are fearful of the consequences of deploying a hazardous
technology like nuclear power in such a secretive and oppressive
We could not see people in Koodankulam and those sympathized with
them. It is truly regrettable that we could not meet them. However,
after being denied entrance, our concern has become more serious and
our solidarity has been stronger. Those who push for nuclear energy
are closely connected. Globally, there are no boarders when it comes
to nuclear devastation. Then let us overcome the difference of
nationalities and languages and make thousands of, ten thousands of
comrades to fight for our future without nukes together. We hope to
see you in India on next opportunity.
Masahiro Watarida（Hiroshima Network against Kaminoseki NPP）
Shinsuke Nakai（Video Journalist）
Yoko Unoda（No Nukes Asia Forum Japan）
Sunday, September 30, 2012
- ► 2017 (251)
- ► 2016 (1001)
- ► 2015 (5414)
- ► 2014 (1963)
- ► 2013 (6097)
- यूपीए और राजग संसदीय नौटंकी के बाद अमेरिकी हितों क...
- Free market economy is injected with reform cromin...
- Naming of Shadman Chowk, Lahore as Bhagat Singh Ch...
- Jal Satyagraha
- In a country where anyone earning Rs 22 per day is...
- Bt.cotton failure : Seven Vidarbha Farmers suicide...
- Egypt, Yemen challenge some U.S. ideas
- As crimes against Dalits rise, UP tops the chart -
- Illegal cracker units exploit Deepavali sales
- Do You Think That America is Not a Police State Yet?
- Nuclear Disarmament Disarmed
- Not vegetarianism or dieting, Mr. Modi INDIRA HIRWAY
- oint letter from Japanese Anti Nuclear Activists a...
- Video:- "The Toronto Hearings on 9/11" - Brilliant
- Dalit kids served injustice at MP school
- Community Formation and Communal Conflict-Namasudr...
- विकास की गंगा की बाढ़ में डूब रहा एक गांव
- शहर और देहात तथा मानसिक श्रम और शारीरिक श्रम के वि...
- Mr. Thackeray! Who is in Whose Land?
- ईमानदारी भुनाने के लिए बाजार चाहिए, वरना जियेंगे क...
- ममता की राजनीति चाहे जो हो,दिल्ली में प्रतिरोध की ...
- No option but to wait for Mamata`s national mass m...
- Fwd: press note by Nikhat Parwen wife of Fashih Ma...
- Fwd: Bhagat Singh Birth celebration in Lahore, pho...
- Fwd: (हस्तक्षेप.कॉम) हे प्रभु भाजपा की रक्षा करना
- बाजरी और हाजरीhttp://www.jansatta.com/index.php/co...
- उत्पीड़न के बहाने
- ‘Perfect storm’ that shook PM Grim alert, bitter p...
- Fw: Press Conference on Hunger Deaths and National...
- Libya: End of the Honeymoon Period
- Egypt's Sinai: The Collapsing Buffer Zone between ...
- UAE Islamist group denies reports it has an armed ...
- Why Qatar wants to invade Syria
- Sectarian Violence in Burma Attracting the Attenti...
- George Habash: A Profile From the Archives
- The plight of the Rif: Morocco's restive northern ...
- Bahrainis battle police in anti-government protests
- Is Jordan heading for chaos? The royal court's unw...
- Analysis: The winds of change in Sudan By Sudan Ch...
- Who are Tunisia's Salafis?
- Saudi Arabia and Qatar Dueling Monarchies Of The M...
- Mauritania: Dreaming about the Fall of the Militar...
- A threat to the entire country Who and what is Bok...
- Rani Rasmani on her 220th birth anniversary
- Rani Rasmani on her 220 th birth anniversary!
- जीने नहीं देती तो सब्सिडी क्यों देती है सरकार
- Cut throat economists push for ethnic cleansing.Co...
- BARVE'S EXPULSION FROM BAMCEF
- हवा और पानी की नीलामी नहीं होगी, यूं ही बेच दी जाय...
- बांग्लादेश में हाशिये पर है हिन्दू आबादी
- Agenda to destroy agrarian India!Land Bill diluted...
- Fwd: [initiative-india] Press Release : MoRD Furth...
- Fwd: Shahid Bhagat Singh's birth anniversary: Pak ...
- Ethnic politics: Baloch, Sindhi and Mohajir moveme...
- s Iraq's Dawa Party Returning To Their Islamist Ro...
- Kenya and its coastal discontents Kenya must make ...
- How to kill the Haqqanis? Work with Iranian terror...
- Outrage at CIA's deadly 'double tap' drone attacks...
- Towards a "Colored Revolution" in Malaysia? US and...
- Egypt Workers Striking in Record Numbers
- Interview with Islamic Group leader Rifai Taha
- Could Benghazi Embassy Deaths Be a Harbinger of Al...
- 100 Million Dead, Trillion of Dollars Lost from Cl...
- FIELD MARSHAL SAM MANEKSHAW’S LECTURE AT DEFENCE S...
- Are you going to Kudankulam?
- India: big bang, or parting shot? By Victor Mallet
- THE HIMALAYAN TALK: PALASH BISWAS CRITICIZES GOVT ...
- अब बिजली गिरेगी आम आदमी पर! बिजली ग्रिड फेल होने ...
- Deprived of food security in grow
- Fwd: (हस्तक्षेप.कॉम) यूरोपीय विश्व दृष्टि की देन ह...
- Fwd: [initiative-india] NAPM pays respect and homa...
- Fw: [pmarc] Fwd: Gujarat genocide 2002: Commemorat...
- Fw: Hindutva's mischief to belittle Ambedkar
- Short Rejoinder to Amit Mitra on Diesel Price Hike...
- Full transcript: NDTV's exclusive interview with S...
- In Modi’s good-governance regime, four villagers e...
- India: Don't change N-liability law to suit MNCs
- Three Dalit youths killed in police firing in Guj ...
- A gangrape, an MMS, a father's suicide: A village ...
- FOREST RIGHTS RALLY- INVITATION - ADHOURA, KAIMUR,...
- Civil society joint open letter to the Commonwealt...
- Assam Accord, a pernicious deception
- Invitation to a ‘PEOPLE’S HEARING ON FABRICATED CA...
- In Haryana, Dalit woman gang-raped at gunpoint, th...
- Fwd: ZIMA Weekly
- Fwd: FW: Important Announcement - Mountain Festiva...
- Fwd: tribute to poof. Banwarilal Sharma
- Save Corporate India UPA Mission
- राष्ट्रीय मानवाधिकार आयोग की ओर से हिंदू और मुसलमा...
- हिन्दू और मुस्लिम के बीच साफ साफ भेद भा
- Fwd: Press release - illegal mining in forest land...
- If Black Money comes back to India
- Fwd: FW: If Black Money comes back to India
- गरीब जिये या मरे, उससे बाजार और राजनीति का क्या!
- ममता के बाद ऐसे बनी बात Tuesday, 25 September 2012...
- गरीब जिये या मरे, उससे बाजार और राजनीति का क्या!
- Provided Mamata is honest enough to lead anti FDI ...
- Fwd: [New post] अनियोजित नहीं है आग्रह पूर्वाग्रह
- Fwd: a report on movement against fake encounter i...
- Fwd: (हस्तक्षेप.कॉम) आप नहीं चाहेंगे तो भी मौसम बद...
- ▼ September (259)
- ► 2011 (8515)