Premnath Jha killing – Petition to CM, Muni Commrs, Top Cops etc. SENT TODAY with 50 signatures
Thank you for supporting this petition to Chief Minister, Municipal Commissioners of Mumbai, Thane & Navi Mumbai, and many others.
Copy of this letter was endorsed to 55 top builders, who are office-bearers of Maharashtra Chamber of Housing Industry (MCHI) and Builders Association of Navi Mumbai (BANM). Many of them are surely part of the inner circle who know who killed Premnath Jha, and also who attacked other RTI activists last year. More importantly, these 55 persons have an intimate knowledge and experience of how the rules and laws are being bent and corroded to further the interests of the builder community.
In the letter, we have urged the Chief minister and others to take cognizance of the special place that this circle of insiders occupies in the scheme of things. They are morally responsible for a lot of the wrongdoings. READ OUR LETTER BELOW, ALONG WITH THE LIST OF SIGNATORIES.
This ADDRESS LIST will be useful to anybody who wishes to undertake such a letter-writing exercise:http://tinyurl.com/68-addresses-incl-Big-Builders
My dear colleague G R Vora couriered this letter to six addresses today, and dispatched it to the remaining addresses. See courier receipt: http://tinyurl.com/Courier-Receipt-Letr-2-CM-Prem
(Thank you GRV for your hard work and generosity.)
COPY OF LETTER SENT
29 February, 2012
Shri Prithviraj Chavan,
Chief Minister of Maharashtra,
Mantralaya, 6th Floor, Madame Cama Road,
Premnath Jha murder:
Investigate Maharashtra Chamber of Housing Industry & Mantralaya Officials;
Create Watch-List of Unscrupulous Builders to Safeguard Civil Society
Premnath Jha had sought details of several construction projects in the Vasai-Virar area; he was shot dead on February 24. The connection is plainly visible. Please take action based on this.
Sir, we frequently hear in private conversations with builders that all difficulties can be "managed" at Mantralaya, and project clearances can be obtained despite severe shortcomings. Civil society is paying the price for the administration's leniency, and many RTI activists are losing their lives trying to expose the nexus between builders and state officials.
TO CURB THIS:
1) INVESTIGATE MAHARASHTRA CHAMBER OF HOUSING INDUSTRY (MCHI) and other bodies like Builders' Association of Navi Mumbai (BANM). MCHI and other bodies are intimately aware of illegalities and criminal offenses being carried out by their members, along with friendly non-members abetting them. They facilitate and protect such builders, act as a respectable front for them before the government and media, lobby for loosening of rules and laws, and engage in expensive PR exercises to whitewash their image. Such associations conveniently ignore issues that should deeply concern them, such as the most recent murder of Premnath Jha, the assault on Yashwant Gavand and Santosh Daundkar in Jan-Feb 2011, and police harassment of Kamlakar Shenoy in July 2011. MCHI, BANM and other associations pretend to be unaware of blatant illegalities of their leading members Niranjan Hiranandani in Powai, Sukhraj B Nahar in Chandivali, Ramakant Jadhav (Shivalik Ventures) in Golibar and Bhupendra Shah (Bhumiraj Constructions) on Palm Beach Road. Please recognize MCHI and BANM's pivotal role in such matters, and instruct police teams investigating Premnath Jha's murder and other crimes to question their members.Also, check the spectacular growth of the personal assets of leading MCHI and BANM members, and their close family members.
2) PURGE CORRUPT OFFICIALS. Mantralaya and municipal corporations are sheltered places, as police investigating teams rarely go there. This must change, because all builders collaborate with government officials to commit irregularities and crimes. Scrutinize these key officials, and sack them if complicity is revealed:
· Executive Engineer, Building Proposal, MCGM and other municipal corporations
· Deputy Chief Engineer, Building Proposal
· Director, Engineering Services & Projects (Municipal Corporation)
· Senior Police Inspectors (who turn a blind eye to illegal construction & criminal activities following 'orders from above')
· District Collectors & Additional Collectors (Encroachment Removal)
· CIDCO's Planning Department & Controller of Unauthorized Constructions
· Metropolitan Commissioner, MMRDA
· Secretaries of Urban Development and Revenue Department
Firstly, let vigilance officers examine suspicious decisions and unusual asset growth of persons who have held the above-mentioned posts in the last 10 years. Secondly, in connection with Premnath Jha's murder and other crimes, please direct the police to interrogate these people. Both kinds of searches will surely reveal witnesses, evidence, important leads for cracking the case, and also, the hands of powerful politicians sheltering the builders.
3) CREATE A STATE GOVT PANEL ENABLING RTI ACTIVISTS TO DEPOSE & SUBMIT INCRIMINATING DOCUMENTS against builders and their henchmen. Based on such prima facieevidence, create a watch-list of builders suspected of rampant illegalities, criminal activities and tax evasion. Ban the builders on this watch-list. Also, make them the prime suspects whenever someone like Premnath Jha is killed or assaulted.
4) CALL 5-YEAR MORATORIUM ON NEW PROJECT APPROVALS and step in to strictly regulate this runaway industry. Otherwise, a huge housing bubble is growing alarmingly; and when this bubble bursts, prices will crash, triggering mass defaults of housing loans, banking failure and contagion to other sectors. From 2005 to 2012, property prices in MMR doubled, even as inventory of one lakh flats accumulated. It will take about four years to clear this unsold stock. The monopolistic cartel of builders, financiers and estate agent is corrupting the administration, destroying market mechanisms and artificially hiking prices. It is playing pass-the-parcel, forcing investors and banks to carry its business risks. When the music stops, there will be crushing losses all around, widespread business closures and unimaginable suffering to our families. The common man will be left pointing fingers at the government for its failure to foresee this disaster.
Sir, step in decisively to stop these dangerous games. Protect the lives of common people and the economy of Maharashtra. The killing of RTI activist Premnath Jha is an alarm bell, signaling an extremely dangerous conspiracy that is not only anti-people, but also anti-state. Please don't ignore this alarm bell.
G R Vora,
E-mail : email@example.com
Plot - 275 / 3, Gope Nivas, Dr B A Road, Sion E, Mumbai – 400022.
Cell : 09869195785.
Plus 50 Signatories:
1. Krishnaraj Rao, Borivali East, Mumbai, Journalist, Cell: 9821588114 firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Mohammed Afzal, Human Rights activist, Andheri, Mumbai, Cell: 9820490435 email@example.com
- Dolphy Dsouza – Cell: 9820226227, Santacruz E, Mumbai Businessman firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jaynish Shah, Mumbai, Cell: 09324365226 email@example.com
- Col. (Retd) N Thiagarajan, Vikhroli, Mumbai – 79, Retired, Cell : 09920541864 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ketan D Maniar, Santacruz W, Mumbai 54, Businessman, Cell: 09821034547, email@example.com
- Pearl Goswami, Bandra W Retired Air-India Executive, Cell: 09892310000, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ashok S Rathod, Ghatkopar E, Mumbai, Cell: 09821741445, email@example.com
- C. Ravindranath, Vidyanagar, Pune – 32 Cell : 09422314642 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jeetendra Ghadge, Mumbai, Activist, Cell : 09773119544, email@example.com.
- Ainee Nizami, Goregaon, Mumbai, Cell : 09769226967, Journalist firstname.lastname@example.org
- Advo. Rina Kamath, Colaba, Mumbai, Cell : 09820235034, Legal Practioner, email@example.com.
- Utsal Karani, Activist, Hon. Secy. Janhit Manch, Juhu Scheme, Cell : 09324991030, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Advo. Vinod Sampat, Legal Practitioner, Ghatkopar, Mumbai, email@example.com.
- Kanwarjit Singh, Retired, Juhu, Mumbai, Cell : 09833062713, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Suresh Merani, Self employed, Bandra W, Mumbai 50, Cell : 09870012054, email@example.com.
- Kishore samtani, Chembur, Mumbai 74, Retired, Cell : 09833517514, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Melroy Fernandes, Naigaon W, Vasai, Master Mariner (F.G.), Activist, Cell: 09869378109. email@example.com
- Dr. Emmanuel D'Silva, Mahim, Mumbai, Retired, Cell : 09930537002, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Vivek Mhatre, Nallasopara E, Thane. Civil Engineer, Cell : 07208853593, email@example.com,
- Dr Y T Oke, Retd. Cons. Paediatrician, Sahar, Mumbai 99, Ph 022-28230286, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Dr Avisha Kulkarni, National Convenor – Deshbhakti Andolan, Goregaon, email@example.com.
- S Balakrishnan, Secretary General – Deshbhakti Andolan, Chembur, Mumbaideshbhaktiandolan@gmail.com.
- Anand Desai, Psychologist, Cell : 09820602715, Andheri W, Mumbai, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Kisan Mehta, Chembur Mumbai 74, Senior environmentalist, Cell : 09223448857, email@example.com
- Ms Priya Salvi, Chembur, Mumbai, Senior environmentalist, Cell : 09324027494www.savebombaycommittee.org
- Kanu Kamdar, Senior activist, Mumbai, Cell : 9821999401, www.savebombaycommittee.org
- Niraj Mehta, Activist, Chembur, Mumbai, Cell : 09167474289, www.savebombaycommittee.org
- Clarence Pinto, Santacruz, Mumbai, Activist, Cell : 09869649138, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Rajiv P Patel, Santacruz, Mumbai, Activist, Cell: 09833733365, email@example.com.
- Manu M Pillai, Student RTI Activist, Dombivali E, Pin-421204, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mazhar Vahanvaty, Bandra W, Mumbai – 50, Businessman, 09821818299, email@example.com.
- Dr D N Verma, Vashi, Navi Mumbai, Retired, Cell : 09869485455, firstname.lastname@example.org
- H B Charna, A concerned citizen, Mumbai, email@example.com.
- Samir Pradhan, RTI activist, Thane, Cell: 09004593784, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cynthia Fernandes, Bandra W, Mumbai 50, Activist, Cell : 09867075044 email@example.com.
- Navin H Pandya, Malad, Mumbai, Senior activist, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Vasant patil, Kandivali E, Mumbai – 400101, Engineering Consultant, email@example.com.
- Milind Kotak, Dadar, Mumbai, Activist, Cell : 09820643510, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Binoy J Vallarian, Borivali, Mumbai, Service, Cell : 09029004050, email@example.com.
- Manohar Sabnis, Advisor, Ghatkopar, Mumbai, Cell: 09819016816, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Manish Modi, Vile Parle, Mumbai, Businessman, Cell: 09821438180, email@example.com
- Rajendra J Thacker, Borivali West, Businessman, Cell: 09224427969, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Smita R Gaglani, A concerned citizen, Khar West, Mumbai, Cell : 0914651897, email@example.com
- Prashant Uikey, Mulund, Mumbai, Service, Cell: 09821936000, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subhash Baswekar, Pune, RTI activist, Cell : 9223516920, email@example.com
- Reggie Dias, Santa-Cruz (E), Mumbai, firstname.lastname@example.org, 9869384304
- Chinmayi Mehta, Bandra West, Mumbai, Business email@example.com
- Bhushan Pandurang Malgaonkar, Wadala, Advocate, 9820866206 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rajeev Krishnan, Hanuman Nagar Kalyan (E), Self-Employed email@example.com
Copies endorsed to:
1. Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh
2. UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi
3. Home Minister of Maharashtra R R Patil
4. Director General of Police, Maharashtra
5. Principal Secretary, Urban Development Deptt, Mantralaya,
6. Principal Secretary, Revenue Department, Mantralaya
7. Mumbai Municipal Commissioner Subodh Kumar
8. Thane Municipal Commissioner R A Rajeev
9. Navi Mumbai Municipal Commissioner Vijay Shantilal Nahata
10. CIDCO Chairman Pramod Hindurao
11. MMRDA Metropolitan Commissioner Rahul Asthana
Copies to office bearers of Maharashtra Chamber of Housing Industry (MCHI)
1. Paras Gundecha, Gundecha Group
Immediate Past President
8. Boman Irani – President (MCHI Mira Virar City Unit)
Hon. Joint Secretaries
10. Harish Patel, Rajesh Builders
Copies to office bearers of Builders Association of Navi Mumbai (BANM)
1. M C Sunny, National Builders
Senior Vice President